Sunday, July 24, 2011

Into The Wild

Sorry it's been a little while since I've written. The weeks before I left I spent most of my time with my family and dearest friends and before I knew it, I was boarding a plane to Denver, Colorado. I just got done spending this last week in the wilderness (hence the title of this blog.) So, I am going to do my very best to try and fill you all in on what this week has been about...I know most of you have been on the edge of your seats in suspense(a little sarcasm there...I know life goes on without me)

When I got to Denver, I met the rest of our Nigerian team (I'll fill you in on each one of them later) everyone is amazing and special and already I can see that God hand picked and nitted us together, I'll say that much. We ended up spending this past week in a town called Salida, Colorado. Ever heard of it? Yeah, me neither. But there is this awesome Christian wilderness organization that specializes in taking groups out and about in the mountains and we rough it for a few days and in it all God is being revealed in ways you've never known before. We repelled off an 80 ft cliff and in this I was being reminded and pushed to put my trust in the Lord. Psalm 3:3 says "God is a shield about me, my glory and the one who lifts my head" It was an over all overwhelming experience trying to remind myself to not fear and to stop in the middle of the cliff just so i could enjoy the view that the Lord had created. The next day we hiked to our "high camp" the packs were extremely heavy and I got my fix of a workout enough to last me a few more months :) we spent the next day in some solo time with the Lord. This is a moment that i am going to treasure for always. As I was sitting in the midst of tall trees all around me and the sound of a river stream just feet away from me and the warmth of the sun and the roaring of the wind blowing through the mountain side...I read letters from some of you, letters of encouragement and love and I'll be forever grateful for those words. I can't express the amount of love I have felt from so many of you and I am truly blessed. The Lord gave me words of encouragement in a moment when I was feeling lonely and questioning why God had me here. So, thank you for listening to the Lord and sending me encouragement.
The next day, we set out to conquer a 13,850ft mountain. Yes, you read that right and let me say... If God is for us, then who van stand against us?... WE CONQUERED!! It took a while, I will admit and I along with most of my team members were exhausted and rethinking over and over again about quiting. It was physically exhausting and my body so many times wanted to quit. My feet hurt, my chest was tight and it was hard to breath from the elevation and it was hot then cold and then hot and then cold. And there was a few times when I thought we were at the top and our guides would inform us that we were just on a false summit, or what I like to call a Tease of a mountain top! But, isnt it funny how God can speak through all this? How many times in my life have I been spiritually exhausted and spent, feeling like im not going to make it to the top and almost settling for the view of a false glory... But I heard God say, "keep going, trust me...it's better then you can imagine." On my way up, finally we made it to the top and yes, indeed it was greater than anything I've ever seen before. I cried because I could believe the beauty my eyes were seeing. In the midst of what seemed impossible, making it to the top seemed impossible...we did what we thought we couldn't do. And as we stood on the top of Mount Silver Heel, we came together and worshipped and gave glory to God. I hope to post pictures soon...

So, now after this amazing wilderness experience we are on the road to Texas where we will fly out at the end of this coming week. I will be sure to post one more te before I fly out. Thanks for letting me share this little bit of what has been going on. This "Into The Wild" trip I feel is just the beginning of an amazing adventure I'm going to be on with the Lord. I hope you're as excited to be apart of it as I am!!

Be Blessed!!

1 comment: